Detroit Public Schools Bribe Kids With Basketball Shoes

<em>Show up for one day and get some new Jordans</em>
<blockquote>This year, every Detroit public <a href=”http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/” target=”_blank”>high school</a> student who shows up to school on Oct. 3 will be rewarded with a free pair of Nikes, courtesy of a local shoe store.

The reason for all the swag: Count Day. The number of students in attendance for the entirety of count day in the fall <a href=”http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/2011-2012_and_2012-2013_Student_Count_Day_Information_362677_7.pdf” target=”_blank”>determines 90 percent</a> of per-pupil state funding for <a href=”http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/michigan/” target=”_blank”>Michigan</a> public school districts. The other 10 percent is determined by a second count day in the winter. –<em><a href=”http://finance.yahoo.com/news/high-school-students-swag-count-day-144200457.html” target=”_blank”>Finance</a></em></blockquote>
Well if this isn’t a good sign for the future of our country, I don’t know what is. You can say what you want about the kids these days. You can say they are growing up soft. You can say they are growing up with zero accountability for their actions. Go ahead and say that they are being dominated by students from other countries with much more practical education systems not run by unions and based on memorization. But at least these kids understand the value of a fresh pair of Jordans. So we got that going for us, which is nice.Rich Text Area










Show up for one day and get some new Jordans



This year, every Detroit public high school student who shows up to school on Oct. 3 will be rewarded with a free pair of Nikes, courtesy of a local shoe store.


The reason for all the swag: Count Day. The number of students in attendance for the entirety of count day in the fall determines 90 percent of per-pupil state funding for Michigan public school districts. The other 10 percent is determined by a second count day in the winter. –Finance


Well if this isn’t a good sign for the future of our country, I don’t know what is. You can say what you want about the kids these days. You can say they are growing up soft. You can say they are growing up with zero accountability for their actions. Go ahead and say that they are being dominated by students from other countries with much more practical education systems not run by unions and based on memorization. But at least these kids understand the value of a fresh pair of Jordans. So we got that going for us, which is nice.




Path:





Word count: 189   Last edited by admin on September 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm





Meta SEO Pack













Text entered above will be used as a value for the <meta name=”description”> tag.




Text entered above will be used as a value for the <meta name=”keywords”> tag. Separate keywords with commas (e.g. key1,key2,key3).




Text entered above will be used as a value for the <meta name=”robots”> tag. It will override default noindex,follow settings. Meta SEO Pack will add noodp and noydir if you checked to use them.





Excerpt



Excerpts are optional hand-crafted summaries of your content that can be used in your theme. Learn more about manual excerpts.





Send Trackbacks




(Separate multiple URLs with spaces)


Trackbacks are a way to notify legacy blog systems that you’ve linked to them. If you link other WordPress sites they’ll be notified automatically using pingbacks, no other action necessary.





Custom Fields












Name Value

Add New Custom Field:












— Select — amazon_id article_category book_author book_movie book_url carousel_items carousel_mode carousel_ngen_gallery colorscheme content_sidebar enclosure featureboxes featuremedia featuretext featuretitle link_param link_url post_feature_order post_hide_author post_hide_date post_hide_share show show_on_homepage sidebar_layout sub_menu the_sidebar website Enter new

Custom fields can be used to add extra metadata to a post that you can use in your theme.





Discussion








Comments



No comments yet.





Slug






Author


admin Carolyn McCool, Guest Author Ed Bartolini Foster Friess Joe Lindsley Joe Lindsley and T. J. Haley Matthew Taylor mhayden2 Shari Brownfield T. J. Haley Tyler Saied McKnight




Revisions







WhiteHousePro Post Options





Select the widgetized sidebar you would like to show on this page. Only applies to page templates with sidebars.


—SELECT— Default Sidebar Secondary Sidebar Short Sidebar Augmenting the News Carrying Others Burdens Climate Change Education Enduring Values Eye on Extremism Friess Family Foundation General Store Government Health Care Helping Peaceful Muslims Immigration Key Issues Man Atop the Horse Muslims for Modernity Must See Sites Must See Sites Widget Saddle Up The Mission The One Percent Transforming America





Select the side of the page you would like the sidebar to show up (this page only – defaults to right).


—SELECT— Right Left





Select the menu you want displayed in the sub-menu position for this page.


—SELECT— Carrying Others Burdens Climate Change Education Enduring Values Friess Family Foundation Government Health Care Helping Peaceful Muslims Immigration Main Menu Man Atop the Horse Saddle Up Site Map Tax Policy





Shows Content Sidebar on this page





Optionally select a color scheme for this page/post.


—SELECT— Blue Black Green Orange Red





Shows Full Width Content Area on this page/post





Hides the three widgetized areas that lie above the footer on this page/post.








Display Options





Hide the post date





Hide the post author





Hide the article share buttons





Sticky order within the category. Leave blank to use post date order.










Reply to Comment









You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>



WordPress SEO fine-tune by Meta SEO Pack from Poradnik Webmastera